WIP* – Sprout’s 100-Year Afghan

Image
Sneak Peek at Sprout’s 100-Year Afghan

I’m getting down with my crafty self again! My desire to sew/knit/crochet comes in waves – either I’m all over it, or I want nothing to do with it. I was in a major slump until Butterbean pulled out my yarn and asked me to teach her to knit. So cute! Total disaster, though; my 3 year-old does not have the patience to eat her dinner in one sitting let alone learn to knit (or crochet, in this case). She gave up on making anything useful about 2 minutes in, and now prefers digging my hooks around in a ball of yarn until it is a frayed, tangled mess.

During her week-long knitting obsession, the Bean convinced me to crochet a sweater for one of her Cabbage Patch Kids (maybe I’ll post the finished project sometime), and Chase seized that opportunity to guilt me into making something for Sprout.

I really wanted to make this afghan for Bean Sprout, but I was too cheap to buy the pattern so I made up my own version and ran with it. I’m calling it the “100-Year Afghan” because it is taking for-freaking-ever to finish. I could have crocheted 2 blankets in the time it’s taken me to do an eighth of this one. Each flower represents about 15 minutes of work once I’ve tied it into the overall piece and woven the ends in. And that doesn’t even count finishing the afghan off around the edges – I’m still not even remotely sure how I’m going to do that. Do I make it a hexagon shape? Do I make it a rectangle? Square? Who knows!

I’ll post the finished project as soon as it’s done. I like the look of this blanket so far, and I’m sure it will be worth the hours I’ve put into it.

*or “work in progress” for you non-craft-nerds.

**You can see Butterbean’s baby blanket here.

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “WIP* – Sprout’s 100-Year Afghan

    1. moragandme says:

      I’ll try to post a pattern and/or video soon! I am sewing them together one-by-one and it’s horrible and tedious!

    1. moragandme says:

      I am *almost* done. It takes me an average of 15 to 20 minutes a flower when you take sewing them together and weaving in the ends into account. Also, I’m not very consistent when it comes to setting aside time to work on it.

      I sew the flowers together individually so it’s a long, dirty process. I’m sure there’s a better way to do it, but I haven’t found it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s